John-Paul - Music Teacher # 1464
I hope, through my teaching, to be able to inspire a new generation of musicians to carry it on.
Information about John-Paul
I believe there to be no form of communication so able as music to speak so poignant a way to such diverse peoples as our world holds. Music is a living tradition, and when you even simply listen to a work by Beethoven or Mendelssohn or Mozart, you become a part of that tradition. I think it important that this tradition is handed down, and I hope, through my teaching, to be able to inspire a new generation of musicians to carry it on.
Name: John-Paul (Full name will be provided upon registration)
BAH Teacher No. : 1464
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland - Master of Arts
University of British Columbia - Bachelor of Music
Awards and Distinctions
• Scottish Opera
• Cromarty Youth Opera (concertmaster) — “Tod!” by Andrew Gant, World Premiere
• Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Chamber Orchestra (concertmaster)
• Royal Scottish National Orchestra — Professional Experience Scheme
• University of British Columbia Symphony Orchestra (concertmaster)
• Marrowstone Chamber Orchestra (concertmaster)
• National Youth Orchestra of Canada (assistant concertmaster)
• Cavatina Intercollegiate Chamber Music Competition Finalist (Zephyr Quartet) — 2018 • Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Trust — 2017
• W H MacInnes Memorial Scholarship (UBC) — 2016
• Student Scholarship in Arts (UBC) — 2016
• Katherine Brearley Arts Scholarship (UBC) — 2016
• Erich Wagner Memorial Scholarship in Violin Performance (UBC) — 2016
• Dr. And Mrs. A.M. Bomstead Scholarship in Violin (UBC) — 2013, 2016
• Univerersity of British Columbia Wesbrook Scholar — 2016
• Margaret E. Barr Bigelow Memorial Scholarship (UBC) — 2016
• University of BC Scholarship (UBC) — 2016
• The Siludette O’Connor Memorial Foundation Violin Leadership Scholarship (NYO Canada) — 2015 • Friends of Chamber Music Young Musicians Competition Finalist (2015)
• Magdalena Stekl Memorial Scholarship in Music in String Chamber Music (UBC) — 2015
• UBC Music Undergraduate Student Association Creative Grant (UBC Students’ Association) - 2014 • Jacobus and Frances Jute Memorial Scholarship (UBC) — 2014
• Dena Wosk Scholarship in Music (UBC) — 2014
Rates and Policies
Rates and Studio Policies
Registration Fee: $25.00 (One-time lifetime registration fee may be used by all family members)
Rates for instruction:
30 minute private lesson: $39.00
45 minute private lesson: $49.00
60 minute private lesson: $59.00
Travel charge: additional $15.00 per visit (for lessons in a client's home as opposed to my studio)
1. Cancellation Policy
Lessons not cancelled or rescheduled with at least 24 hours notice are billable to the client and payable to the teacher. This does not of course apply to travel fees unless the notice is effectively given at the door and the teacher has travelled to the location.
2. Cessation (quitting) Policy
A client must provide a 2 lesson notice period to stop lessons. So a weekly student needs to give 2 weeks of notice, a biweekly student works out to 3 weeks notice and a twice weekly student works out to a week of notice.
3. Illness Policy
Lessons cancelled due to illness or extraordinary circumstances with less than 24 hours notice remain billable to the client and payable to the teacher.
BAH teachers are encouraged to offer a make-up lesson at a future date in the interest of client relations and general goodwill. This only makes sense as teaching a student with the flu for example, will ruin the rest of your week's employment.
No more than 2 lessons may be made up due to illness within a 60 day period.
4. Rescheduling Policy
Any lesson can be cancelled or rescheduled with at least 24 hours notice.
Summer Vacation and Extended Absence Policy
Clients may schedule longer absences for trips etc. 24 hours notice is required.
It is normal and typical for students and about 20% of our teachers to schedule a break in the summer. We do not enforce a notice period (see cessation of lessons) at the end of a long summer break.
5. Evaluation Period
There are no free trial lessons with Beethoven at Home but we do offer a 2 lesson evaluation period where it is easy to try out a teacher. There are no free lessons during the evaluation period and clients may choose to discontinue the lessons at any time by providing the required 24 hours notice. After the student's 3rd lesson the required 2 lesson notice period will apply (see cessation of lessons above).
Lessons in StudioService not offered
This teacher does not operate a teaching studio.
Lessons in your HomeService Available
- A charge of $15.00 per teacher visit applies.
Display all areas covered by this teacher
Online LessonsService Available
- No additional fees for online lessons.